Every family has its ups and downs, periods of closeness and estrangement, laughter, and tears. It’s common to find yourself navigating through challenging times, feeling as though you’re caught in a cycle with no clear way out. Whether it’s persistent conflict, communication breakdowns, or adapting to significant life changes, the intricacies of familial relationships can sometimes be overwhelming. Family therapy offers a roadmap to navigate these intricate dynamics, helping families find their way back to harmony and understanding. But how does family therapy work, exactly?
With a team of experienced therapists and counselors, QuickSilver Counseling Center specializes in aiding families as they rediscover the bonds that once held them close and fostering an environment of growth, love, and respect. Call 888.477.8941 to enroll in an addiction or dual diagnosis treatment program that includes family therapy today.
How Addiction Affects Relationships
Addiction doesn’t only affect the individual who’s struggling with substance abuse; it also has profound effects on their family. Families often experience:
- Denial – Refusing to acknowledge the addiction problem.
- Enabling – Unknowingly assisting or allowing the addiction to continue.
- Blame – Holding an individual with addiction entirely responsible without understanding underlying issues.
- Dysfunctional communication – Avoiding confrontations, suppressing feelings, or aggressive confrontations.
Understanding these patterns and working to change them can be integral to supporting recovery.
Understanding Family Therapy
Family therapy, also known as family counseling, is a therapeutic approach aimed at addressing specific issues affecting the health and functioning of a family. It can be used to help a family through a difficult period, smooth a major transition, or address specific mental health concerns that affect the family unit.
Therapists view the family as a single emotional unit, which means that the actions of one member can impact the entire system. This approach shifts focus from individual behavior to the dynamics and interactions within the family.
How Does Family Therapy Work?
Family therapy often involves multiple members of the family attending therapy sessions together. The answer lies in its collaborative approach. The goal is to uncover and address the systemic issues that contribute to conflict and disharmony. Here’s a closer look at how the process generally unfolds:
- Assessment – The initial sessions are typically geared toward understanding the family’s dynamic, the challenges faced, and the individual perspectives of each member.
- Identifying patterns – Family therapists are trained to spot disruptive patterns of communication or behavior. Once identified, these patterns can be addressed and adjusted.
- Skill-building – A significant part of family therapy is teaching family members new skills to improve communication and solve problems. This could be as simple as learning active listening or as complex as navigating a family member’s mental health.
- Goal setting – Families are encouraged to set collective goals. These might include improving communication, resolving conflicts, or adapting to a new life change.
- Home assignments – Just like individual therapy, family therapy often involves assignments to be done outside of the therapy room. These tasks help reinforce the skills learned during sessions and promote positive change.
- Feedback and adjustment – As therapy progresses, families provide feedback on what’s working and what’s not. The therapist can then adjust the approach accordingly.
The journey of family healing might seem challenging at first, but with the right guidance and commitment, it is entirely attainable. QuickSilver Counseling Center is here to walk alongside you every step of the way.
Begin Family Therapy Treatment by Calling QuickSilver Counseling Center
At QuickSilver Counseling Center, we take a holistic, tailored approach to family therapy, recognizing every family’s uniqueness, challenges, and strengths.
Our integration of the latest research and methods, ranging from evidence-based therapy to mindfulness, ensures each family gets the best. And, our commitment doesn’t end after primary therapy; we offer ongoing support groups and follow-up sessions. Choose QuickSilver for a transformative family therapy treatment journey. Contact us at 888.477.8941 to get started.